I can’t believe its been 7 years already. I must confess but it looks like the public is already forgetting this tragic and bloody day.
So perhaps I moment of introspection after 7 years:
- The perps of this tragic event are still at large … oh yes we know they are holed up on the mountains of Pakistan so why the *&#@ haven’t we finished the job?
- The al-queda organization has reconstituted itself and some intelligence reports indicate is at pre-9-11 strength.
- We have a resurgence of the insurgency in Afghanistan.
- Pakinstan has a new president (not sure how he will deal with taliban).
- Iraq war may be winding down … or lasting another 100 years …. depends who you ask.
- We need all the help we can get in Afghanistan — can we muster 2 or 3 brigades to help with the effort over there?
- Russia has re-emerged as a “superpower’”?
Sounds grim doesn’t it?
What could we have done differently — after 9-11
- Finished the job in Afghanistan.
- Killed or captured Osama and his henchmen
- Turned world solidarity and support into an international effort to defeat global terrorism.
- Deploy economic and diplomatic tools to stem other global challenges like HIV, global climate change, and poverty and genocide.
- Opened channels of communication with the moderate Islamic world.
- Created a “Manhattan project” to end the causes of terrorism – ignorance and hate mongering and the Israel and Palestinian peace process.
- Never forget!
My prayer for the families devastated by this tragic event is for healing and resilience.